It's been a while since I've posted any beauty articles - I mean this is a beauty blog right? I have many friends all ages that like to wear more dramatic eye makeup when they go out. So I did some research about fall makeup trends on sites like Glamour, Allure, and Cosmo among others. One major Fall makeup trend I'd like to talk about is an updated smokey eye look using jewel tones and metallics. Click the links to see the different shades.
To create the smokey eye effect you will need:
- 2 Shadows – one light and one darker. For jewel tones, try Avon Mega Impact Eyeshadows in Poolside Pop, Blue Wattage, and Violette Voltage. You can use these shadows wet or dry. To use it wet, take an eyeliner brush like the mark flat eyeliner brush and wet it, then dab it into the dark shadow for a deep precise line. You can also start with a black or charcoal eyeliner and add the color on top.
- Eyeliner – you can start off with Avon Glimmersticks eyeliner in Black, Charcoal, Midnight Blue, or Eggplant. If you are going with a black or brown smokey eye, punch up the effect by using Avon’s newest Metallic Glimmersticks eyeliners (see left) in Golden Diamond, Sparkling Silver, Flashy Copper, Brown Glow, Sugar Plum, Emerald Glow, Twilight Sparkle, or Black Ice. Apply the gold or silver to the inner eye to make them pop.
- Brushes – the secret to a successful smokey eye is blending with a brush. Here are some brushes that work great and at an affordable price: mark angled contour eye shadow brush, mark eye shadow brush, and mark blending brush.
- Volume-building mascara – the trend this fall is large luscious lashes. Avon has the answer with Super Shock Max mascara and mark Lash All You Want High-Volume mascara.
- Prepare the eye with a primer – this is optional but an eye primer helps the shadow wear longer and keeps the shadow from creasing. I recommend the mark Please Hold Eye Primer.
- Using an eye shadow brush, apply the lighter shade all over the lid up to the eye brow.
- Line the eyes using an eye liner or by wetting your shadow. Apply the liner above the upper lash line, drawing the line thicker in the middle of the eye. Apply the liner along the bottom lashes as well. Smudge the line with your fingers or a brush.
- Using the brush, apply the darker shade to the lid starting at the lash line and blending up to the crease. Do not go beyond the crease unless you are opting for a more dramatic look. Check each eye as you go along to make sure they match. Continue blending using a blending brush to get the desired look.
- Finish the look with multiple coats of mascara.
- Don’t forget your brows! This year, the more the better. Stop plucking now and let them get thicker. You can trim them using a handy brow definer tool but don’t thin them out. Use a good brow pencil like Avon’s Glimmersticks Brow Definer to fill in thinner areas. I use a toothbrush to blend the color and make it look more natural.
Tip: Remember with a smokey eye to keep your lips nude. When applying strong makeup (like smokey eyes or red lips), put the focus on either eyes or lips, never both.
A great gloss to use that is natural but adds a hint of color is Avon’s Smooth Minerals lip gloss in Natural Glow, Pink Quartz, or Nude Glaze. The number one lip gloss in the U.S. is Glazewear by Avon. There a lots of pretty shades to finish your dramatic look.
I hope I've given you some ideas on how to look great for that special occasion. Don't be afraid to experiment.All of these products are available at my Avon website. Shopping is 24/7, tax free, and free shipping on $30 orders.
Thanks for reading.